30 September 2012

Styled To Rock

Styled to Rock is a 10 week brand new fashion show, executive produced by Rihanna on Sky Living. Rihanna sets out to find the next fashion superstar. The 12 contestants compete with each other to create the best outfit for one or more famous music acts every week. They are restricted in time, materials and budget. Their designs are judged and the music act of the week choses their favorite one and a designer is eliminated each week.In the final, the two best designers fight to create an outfit for Rihanna herself which she wore during her performance at the Wireless Festival on July 8, 2012. The show was heavily promoted as though it would have Riri starring in it but I am currently on episode 7 and I have only seen her briefly in the first few episodes. Her lack of presence in the show is a bit of a let down as I was really looking forward to seeing her and hearing what she had to say. I like all of the mentors and think they each bring something different to the table. Although Styled to Rock isn't an original concept- it's very much like a low budget Project runway- I really did enjoy it. I must admit it wasn't 247 entertainment but what did keep my interest was finding out what the designers would be designing/making and their fabric choices.

Here are some of my favourite designs...

Week One: Kanye West inspired look 


Zainab's black structual & textured jacket with large, oversized 
collar. Strong silhouette, I could so see Kanye in this!


Ben's African print outfit was quite risky but well put together. 
I liked the clashing of the print and plain colours. 

Week 5: The Saturdays

Meganne's team won the challenge with 50's inspired fashion being the judge's 
favourite. The mini collection featured pin up, bodycon designs such as high waisted 
shorts and playsuits in pastel colours.


I also quite liked Heidi's studded crop jackets.

Week 6: The Scissor Sisters 



Zainab's drape dress for Ana was gorgeous. It was quite Grecian 
but funked up a lot to give it some edge. I loved the tie die 
colours and the neckline of the bodice.

Week 7: Cheryl Cole


This look for Cheryl Cole was quite wacky but I think Heidi 
did her research on Cheryl's style as she could easily 
rock this for one of her performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

share